via The Daily Texan

UT Police: Man Arrested for Terror Threats Against Campus

By Megan Menchaca

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on TumblrPin on PinterestPrint this page

On Sunday, University of Texas police and Harris County sheriff’s deputies arrested Sean Evan Haddon, a 23-year-old man, after calling in with a bomb threat and threatening to shoot at least 200 people at UT.


Police charged Haddon with making a terroristic threat, a third-degree felony punishable by up to 10 years in prison. He is being held in Harris County with bail set at $300,000.


UT police said the threats began April 7 when a person placed a call to the Police Department’s 911 call center, and said he had put a pipe bomb in the department’s lobby. The caller demanded bitcoin and the dispatcher’s participation in sexual acts in exchange for not blowing up the building, police said.

Then, on April 12, the department’s 911 center received another call, again demanding that the dispatcher perform sexual acts and threatening to shoot the dispatcher.


He called again the next day, this time to the school’s human resources center, and made said he wanted to shoot up the university, and kill “at least 200 people,” beginning with “the first person he sees,” according to UT police.



Police worked with cell phone providers to determine that the caller didn’t pose a threat to the university because he lived in Harris County. They did not notify the public until police arrested him Sunday.


“Once we identified where the suspect was — that he was not in Austin — we believed there was not an imminent threat to the university,” Carter said. “Had the situation been different, where we felt like the suspect was here in the city or in the area and could affect the university, it would have been a different story.”


Investigators searched his home in Crosby and didn’t find any explosives, but seized some weapons and ammunition.


“One of the things that was very important for us was the fact that the community was absolutely terrorized during the bombing events that occurred in the city,” the police chief said. “It was very important for us to get on top of this as quickly as possible.”


For more information about the bombing threat, click here.