PSA: If You Can’t Take Care Of A Pet, DON’T GET ONE!
In theory, having a little furry creature to come home to every night sounds wonderful.
In reality, owning a pet is a lot of work and takes a lot of money.
If you’re planning on adopting a new animal friend, make sure you know how much you’ll need to spend and how much time you’ll need to give.
(Author’s Note: I SWEAR TO GOD IF I SEE ONE MORE PERSON ON UT PETS TRYING TO GIVE AWAY THEIR DOG BECAUSE THEY “JUST CAN’T TAKE CARE OF IT ANYMORE,” I WILL SCREAM. PETS ARE NOT TEMPORARY.)
attn shared this handy dandy chart so you’ll know about how much you’ll need to spend per year on your furbaby (or like scalebaby or featherbaby, depending on what you get).
Can’t afford a pet? Don’t worry, I can’t either. Here’s how to get your animal fix:
- Volunteer at local shelters like Austin Animal Center or Austin Pets Alive!
- Hang out with your responsible friends who have pets.
- Go to Zilker Park! There are usually dogs running around and you can love them. Also, follow their Instagram account for all the dogs: @zilkerpark
- Go visit your parents house and play with your family pet. Bonus: Mom will be happy you came home.
- Become a dog-sitter or work for Wag!
- Follow cute animal accounts on Instagram. I recommend @itsdougthepug and @marniethedog