The Planned Parenthood Scandal and Everything In Between
Let me clear something up. This story is not about abortion.
This is about Planned Parenthood.
Abortion and Planned Parenthood are not the same thing, despite what some might believe.
If you are a woman, you should care about Planned Parenthood.
If you are a man, you should care about Planned Parenthood.
If you are a human being, you should care about Planned Parenthood.
Assuming you are not a highly progressive animal or some reincarnation of hitchBOT who is reading this, you fall within the 100 percentile of people who should care about Planned Parenthood. For that, here’s the eight things you should keep in mind.
- The Center for Medical Progress, an anti-abortion group, released several sting videos showing Planned Parenthood representatives discussing the sale of fetal tissue and organs for profit. The videos sparked a Congressional investigation into Planned Parenthood. WARNING: These videos are graphic.
- Planned Parenthood’s abortion services account for three percent of the total care they provide for men and women. The service most frequently performed is STD/STI testing.
- In case you are not familiar with the other 97 percent of services, the nonprofit group UltraViolet created a Tumblr page for the cause entitled, “What The Fuck Has Planned Parenthood Done.”
- Family planning services like Planned Parenthood helped women avoid 2 million unintended pregnancies in 2013, according to the Guttmacher Institute. Without public funding to these services the rate for unplanned births and abortions would have increased by 60 percent.
- During the GOP debate the Republican candidates shared their thoughts on funding Planned Parenthood.
— Planned Parenthood (@PPact) August 7, 2015
- Jeb Bush proudly reminded the country during the debate that he defunded Planned Parenthood while serving as Florida’s governor in 2001. He however did not mention that in 2014 the Center for Reproductive Rights reported that Florida tied with Oklahoma and Arkansas as the worst state for women’s well-being. (If you were wondering Texas does not rank much higher than Florida.)
- During a recent interview Bush said, “I’m not sure we need half a billion dollars for women’s health issues.” Hillary Clinton then responded to Bush’s statement via Twitter.
— Hillary Clinton (@HillaryClinton) August 4, 2015
Cue the Republican nonsense.
.@HillaryClinton is proud to stand with Planned Parenthood. For that she ought to be ashamed. – SW
— Scott Walker (@ScottWalker) August 4, 2015
.@HillaryClinton what’s absolutely, unequivocally wrong is giving taxpayer $ to an org whose practices show no regard for lives of unborn
— Jeb Bush (@JebBush) August 4, 2015
- Clinton also released a video addressing the defunding actions of Bush, Walker and Rick Perry.
Not to be outdone, Chris Christie then felt the need to respond with his own video.
TL;DR: Planned Parenthood is more than just abortions. Keep funding it. Please and thank you.